The golf course is firm and fast as we missed the rain on Tuesday. Good news is there is more in the forecast over the next week, let’s hope we get a few showers Sunday and Monday.
Last week we started self imposed water reductions on the golf course, common grounds, and communities within GE that pull from the lake system.
Here is the communication that went out explaining how we are working to conserve what water is left in the lakes
With the lack of rain and reduction in irrigation, we are seeing hot spots show up just about everywhere.
And this is why we are reducing irrigation. This is one of the worst lakes and the main lake that feeds the pump station is much larger and deeper but this lake is a good example of just how critical our water situation is.
The good news is we are already seeing a slow down in the water loss due to the self imposed irrigation reductions. We were loosing about a half inch of depth per night, that has now been reduced to approx.. a quarter inch per night. That doubles our usable days which should get us to rainy season.
Here is another example of our very low lakes. This picture is from the bridge at 3 tee facing towards the green. As you can see, the water once flowed under the bridge but has now been cut off so the lake along the fairway and the lake by the tee are two separate lakes.
Sometimes, desperate times call for desperate measures and this week I decided these were desperate times.
There is an old Indian ritual about rain turtles bringing rain…
According to Native American culture, the rain turtle ritual is a ceremony that has the ability to change the weather and bring about rain even in dry, arid climates. The ceremony is typically performed at the beginning of the spring season as a prayer for rain and an abundance of crops. The rain turtle ritual is also performed in times of drought in the belief that performing the ritual is a direct method of appealing to God to send forth rain.
When performing the Native American rain turtle ritual, you must first select an area of dirt in the location where rain is needed. Once you have chosen the area, draw a turtle in the center of the dirt using a wooden stick or spear, including a head, four legs and the shell. In accordance with Native American custom, the turtle must face west or the rain will not come. Drive the stick that was used to draw the turtle into the center of the turtle's back and leave it standing in the dirt. Using a chosen chant, spin about the turtle three times in a clockwise direction, repeating the chant as you dance.
This ritual has been used by military, building crews, and yes, Superintendents.
This week I attempted to draw rain turtles in a couple of our bunkers. While these have worked for me in the past, we didn’t see rain when I did them this week. What I realized after the fact is I drew the turtles with and old golf club shaft and not with the stick I drove into the back of the turtle. I didn’t chant or spin about either. Next time I’m going all in so if you see me out there chanting about in the bunkers I haven’t had a heat stroke, I’m just trying to bring the rain.
Just so you don’t think I have totally lost it, here is one example of another Superintendent referencing the need for rain and rain turtles on X this week.
Despite the dry weather, the staff has been out working diligently to keep up with the details on the course and common grounds.
Felix is plugging some weak areas left over from season on the greens…
A crew was sent out to clean and edge tree rings…
Another crew repaired and raised a damaged drain behind 16 green…
And Sylvestre fertilized all the common ground turf on Wednesday, the last day before fertilizer restrictions took effect for the summer.
I look forward to seeing everyone on the course, and as always, if you have any questions, flag me down or shoot me an email. I always enjoy talking turf and turtles!























No comments:
Post a Comment