Thursday, October 31, 2024

Glen Eagle Maintenance (11/1/124)

I hope everyone enjoyed Halloween, the unofficial kickoff to the fall season. Sunshine and moderate temperatures lately have the course turf tightening up and turning a really pretty green.

The turf on our course is a warm-season grass which as I bet you can guess means it likes warm temperatures. That often leads us to believe the hotter the temperatures the more the turf likes it but that is not necessarily so. If it was, we would call the turf a hot-season grass. While the turf is tolerant to our hot summers, it prefers more moderate temperatures. Generally, the time(s) of year that the turf performs best are when the low and high temperatures for the day added together equal 150 degrees.

Today for instance, the low temperature was 70 and the high 86, a total of 156.

A typical summer day it would be more like a low of 78 and high of 97, totaling 175. During periods when the temperatures are that high, often the turf puts most of its energy resources into survival and doesn’t produce the nice look and playability that it does during the spring and fall.

Here are a couple pictures of the course with a consistent green and uniform growth.



Last week the fall annuals were planted and this week our team has worked hard on sprucing up the landscaping and the mulch at the Davis entrance and Clubhouse. The trees at the Davis entrance were also trimmed so that the Christmas lights could be hung for the upcoming holiday season.

Here are some pictures of all the activity from the week!













I often get asked what flowers we use so I thought I would create a short list here incase anyone is interested in doing similar plantings at their house.

This year we are using Begonias, New Guinea Impatiens, and Salvia. These plants are commonly found at nurseries or big box home improvement stores in our area.

I look forward to seeing everyone on the course, and as always, if you have any questions, flag me down or shoot me an email. I always enjoy talking turf!






No comments:

Post a Comment