I would like to focus this week’s blog, not on golf conditions conditions or facility work but rather to take a moment and reflect on a life lived to it’s fullest.
This week has been a tough one for the entire Glen Eagle family. The sudden and unexpected passing of Don Vandermillen, our Head Golf Professional, has left a huge hole in our hearts and a void in our lives that will never be truly full again.
I came across the picture above, taken on a golf trip to Ireland which he talked about as one of the most fun and memorable experiences of his life. Seems like he created memories wherever he went. I know I, as will many of you remember fondly the memories he made with us.
Don was one of the funniest, quick whittled people I have ever known. He had a heart of gold, fiercely loyal to people he cared for, and compassionate to those he didn’t know as well.
He loved razzing people, especially me. I’ll never forget him making fun of my golf game, letting others people know that “he would have to get better to be bad” or “is it bad, well it’s not good” to which many times I had to agree. I usually quipped back that he was my teacher so that didn’t say much for him. To which we would both laugh.
He also loved to make fun of how much I talked and my Southern accent. During Greens Committee meetings or at our Managers meetings, he would send me a text saying “wrap it up already”. Some of those times while he was sitting right next to me. He would also say “are you speaking English, you hillbilly” or “say that again in English” to which I would bust out laughing. He had a particular habit of texting me something funny during zoom meetings to try and get me to laugh while on the camera which often times worked. I will miss his comic relief for sure.
We had many a morning meeting in his office discussing the day ahead and the going ons of Glen Eagle. From time to time he would sneak down to my office and rearrange the items on my desk just to mess with me. I will certainly miss both.
In the end, he touched many lives, including mine. Since his passing I have certainly reconsidered my impact on others and can only hope that like Don, we can all say that we left things better than we found them. Most of all I am thankful that I am able to call him a friend.
Carlos, our Outside Ops Supervisor was reflecting on his memories of Don this week and came across some video clips online from when he worked at Twin Eagles. He was able to paste them together and make a short video which I think captured just how fun, lighthearted, and funny Don was. I think it is a great way to remember Don, I know it is how I always will.

No comments:
Post a Comment