Thursday, August 21, 2025

Glen Eagle Maintenance

 The golf course continues to enjoy the very hot summer weather, the rest of us maybe not so much ๐Ÿ˜‚.

Our staff has continued to work hard despite the heat to provide great golf conditions. Here are some pictures of them hard at work.

This week we spiked greens. Spiking improves air incorporation at the soil surface. I had noticed some algae underneath the turf canopy on the top of the soil which can potentially have an adverse effect on turf density. Spiking breaks up the algae and dries it out. Since algae likes wet conditions, drying it out helps eradicate it.




We fertilized behind the spiking with Potassium which is good for the roots of the plant but doesn’t feed the algae like Nitrogen does.


Felix and Jorge edged greens and pulled runners. The Celebration Bermuda around the TifEagle Bermuda greens is an aggressive grower and would “creep” onto the greens if we didn’t hold it back by the process of edging and removing the runners.


The cart path on #7 gets some new material.


More edging, this time it’s the concrete cart paths.



Removed another Bottle Palm on #8. Palm weevils and fungus like Ganoderma Butt Rot which is untreatable has been killing many palms not only in Glen Eagle but all over SW FL and other parts of the state. The best way to slow down continued spread is by removing the infected tree.


Trimming Firebush at 15 tee


Quick note, I will be out of town next week so more updates to come during our last summer maintenance closure when I get back.

I look forward to seeing everyone on the course, and as always, if you have any questions, flag me down or shoot me an email. I always enjoy talking turf!



No comments:

Post a Comment