Golf Course
The end of May is here and still no significant rain. The 10 day forecast is looking completely dry and it seems like forever since the weather behaved like it “normally” does.
For the first time this year, Wednesday I saw the corner of the intake on the pump station. Seeing that intake out of the water is a significant sign that we have limited water left to draw out of the lakes. It doesn’t mean we are out of water but that we need replenishment asap. Replenishment is not something we can control as the only true source that provides enough water to increase the lake depth is thru rainfall. I addition to the dry weather, it has also been very hot with feels like temps well over 100 degrees for several weeks now. That heat is driving evaporation rates higher which is taking water from our lakes also.
That said, we have been holding our own on course conditions. There are many hot spots but still a good amount of nice green grass out there too.
I grabbed this photo of #17 while out on the course on Tuesday.
We start our first summer closure next week. We will be aerifying all of our turf, starting with the greens. At the same time, we will be using our Terra Rake to stand up the turf to mow off old grass while removing thatch out of the soil surface. Other tasks will be scalping tees/fairways/roughs and applying 600 tons of sand to greens, tees and fairways.
I thank everyone who is here during the summer for their patience during our closures. I certainly understand the sacrifice of not having your course to play but firmly believe these closures are the key to our year around success.
Common Grounds
I look forward to seeing everyone on the course, and as always, if you have any questions, flag me down or shoot me an email. I always enjoy talking turf!













No comments:
Post a Comment