Golf Course
While the golf course is still dry, there is still good turf to be found. Hole #12 is one of those places. In general most of our par 3’s are in pretty good shape. I have a couple theories of why that may be. First is their size. Since they are smaller, it is likely that irrigation efficiency is better due to tighter irrigation spacing. Second is that they haven’t endured a season’s worth of cart traffic like many other areas of the course, and third, they don’t generally have mounded areas like many other holes do. Mounds tend to dry out faster than lower areas. Regardless of why, I am glad that not every area of the golf course is brown. It is driving me just as crazy as it is many of you. Time to do the rain dances. 😁
Hole 13 is looking pretty good too…
I have had a few people ask me if the greens need water. As you can see in the picture of 13 green the color is not as green as we normally see. That is not due to the greens being dry, it is due to a reduced amount of fertility. The reduction in fertilizer initially started when the spreader we use to apply granular fertilizers broke down. As the plant “leaned out”, the greens became better playing surfaces.
For the health of the greens, we don’t want to restrict fertility during certain times of the year or for too long. For example, going into aerification season, or during periods of high play. These are important times to have higher fertility which will allow the turf adequate food to repair itself from the mechanical damage both can cause. Next week we will start to increase granular fertility as we move into summer.
I am always trying to find different areas of the course that I haven’t taken pictures of before. I was on 18 looking over to 5 and thought this was cool angle that I might not have used before.
Common Grounds
The ficus has been removed and irrigation work has begun. Irrigation should finish next week, then installation can begin.
I look forward to seeing everyone on the course, and as always, if you have any questions, flag me down or shoot me an email. I always enjoy talking turf!
No comments:
Post a Comment