Thursday, October 26, 2023

Glen Eagle Maintenance (10/26/23)

 Golf Course

First I want to say welcome back to the many members who I have seen returning to Glen Eagle over the last week or two. I’m not sure who it was but someone brought the wind along with them 😂. We have seen abnormally strong sustained winds this week. The strong winds have made it very comfortable to play golf but have also dried out the turf quite a bit. When I say that I don’t necessarily mean the soil although at times that is true too. I’m generally talking more about the leaf tissue of the plant. I am seeing many areas that are a bit off color due to the wind pulling moisture out of the cells within the leaves which we call dessication. Not much that can be done about it but to hope for calmer winds and more rain to offset the loss of chlorophyll production.

Golf course is still looking pretty good. I can see the some wear from the increase in traffic and a few of the tees are a bit weak where Common Bermuda has intruded but we are doing ok overall.

Hole #7…from the back tee

This Wednesday we had a cookout for the golf course maintenance, housekeeping, and facilities maintenance staff. Gary, Lisa, Tiffany and members of the golf group organized by Mr. Davis were also in attendance. I want to thank their golf group for their support and donations that help pay for the cookout. Everyone enjoyed a great lunch cooked by Gustavo, our Assistant Superintendent and sweet deserts homemade by Chef John and Mrs. McVetty. After a hard and hot summer, cookouts like these mean a lot to the staff and help keep the morale high.


Common Grounds

The Fall Annuals were planted on Thursday.

This process involves removing the Summer Annuals, adding fresh soil to the beds and planting flowers that will survive the fall and winter. I will take about a month for the flowers to really start filling but just swapping out the flowers has already made an improvement.



Facilities


The front entrance monument painting looks great and is much more visible from the Davis blvd intersection. Radio Road monuments will be next to match the paint colors of the Davis entrance.

I look forward to seeing everyone on the course or in the facilities, and as always, if you have any questions, flag me down or shoot me an email. I always enjoy talking turf and facilities too!




No comments:

Post a Comment